CHEF MARK ESTEE
Mark Estee is a community leader and nationally recognized chef, dedicated to building a thriving restaurant culture upon fresh, local and seasonal ingredients. An advocate for the slow food movement, Estee crafts international dishes with the products of northern Nevada farmers and ranchers. His passion for the community and ambition to push the culinary lever has made him one of the most influential voices in the region.
Liberty Food & Wine Exchange, an artisan eatery and wine bar in Reno, Nev., is the hub of Estee’s craft. It offers hand-crafted, sharable plates within an elegant and edgy atmosphere. Liberty’s boutique market provides house-made items from its USDA-certified butcher shop, bakery and production kitchen. Liberty Events and Liberty Foods source large-scale catering and wholesale distribution.
Estee’s chez louie, a French-American restaurant in the Nevada Museum of Art, provides a full sensory experience, as they embody the art, flavor and composition of the installations. Estee is the exclusive caterer of the Museum, including its newly built Sky Room, Reno’s newest roof-top venue, providing panoramic views of the city.
Estee’s reputation for supporting local farmers and food suppliers is ingrained into each restaurant concept. His favorite question, “Do you know where your food comes from?” encourages guests to understand and appreciate local harvest. His “Whole Hog” philosophy yields full-flavored food using every portion of every ingredient. Estee is a staple among the food community and his business practices are recognized as progressive, thoughtful and direct.
Mark Estee’s entrepreneurial spirit is evident in everything he touches. From the way he interacts with patrons and staff to his involvement within the community, Estee approaches each day with vibrant integrity.
The kitchen is a classroom where Estee goes to learn, teach and perfect his craft. His style is influenced by what he has seen and done, and his drive to continually improve and expand is rooted by what he sees in others. Estee’s passion for food and people keeps pace with his love of Reno/Tahoe. He continues to change and shape the evolving food culture and talks about his passion for the biggest little city on a national platform. He is without a doubt, one of the region’s most prominent advocates.
Mark Estee’s Restaurants
Liberty Food & Wine Exchange (Owner)
chez louie (Owner)
The Union (Owner)
Campo Mammoth (Managing Partner)
Awards, Accolades & Appearances
- Golden Shovel Award – Nevada Grown, 2016
- MSNBC – Your Business, 2015
- Kids Cook For Success (an arm of Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move Campaign) – Selected as Nevada’s Top Chef, 2014
- Cooking Channel – Bite This with Nadia G, 2014
- Food Network – Guys Grocery Games, 2014
- Reno Chamber of Commerce – Community Spirit, 2014
- James Beard House in New York City, 2013
- Reno Gazette Journal – Entrepreneur of the Year, 2013
- Food Network – Guy Fieri’s Top 10 Burger, 2013
- Food Network – Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, 2013
- James Beard Semifinalist – Best Chef, West, 2013
- Trattoria the Movie, 2013
- 4-Diamond Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite
- Pebble Beach Food and Wine Expo
- Lake Tahoe Autumn Food and Wine Festival
- Los Angeles Food and Wine Festival